What I carry ALL THE TIME when hiking (even for the day) A three mile hike can turn into a life changing event! Be prepared!!!
- Compass (and know how to use it!) (I took the REI class!)
- Bivy Bag (emergency blanket to keep warm)
- 2 extra emergency “space” blankets
- Map (for your area to work with your compass)
- Fire Starting Stuff. (I have a lighter, also a flint starter, and cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly to get a fire going fast)
- Water – extra food
- Layers of clothes and rain gear – in winter be prepared for a very COLD night!
- Hydration tabs
- Water filter (Sawyer Squeeze)
- Water Treatment tabs
- Extra Cell Phone charging packs (2) with cables (just make sure they are also charged and ready to go) mostly used for GPS signal
- Duct tape (wrapped to my hiking poles) also velcro zip ties
- para cord (50 feet)
- Emergency Locator Beacon
- First Aid Kit
- Tyvek (can be used as a tarp, ground cover, footprint for shelter,etc) It’s very light and water resistant
- Signal Mirror (with spotting hole)
- Hand warmer
- Misc Items: Extra snacks, salty snacks (especially in summer) plastic trash bag that can be used for all sorts of things (sitting on wet ground) not to mention hauling out trash. Bandana
- I also have all sorts of GPS hiking/topo map apps on my phone such as Gaia You don’t need a cell signal, just a charged phone. Nice to have, but also learn to use a compass and paper map! I always print out a topo map of the area that I’m hiking
- Always leave a location of where you are hiking and the name(s) of your hiking partners with a family member or trusted friend. Let them know the time you should be done and time time they should call authorities.
If you have items that you don’t see on my list, let me know! I’d love to hear what you carry!